BTSA Enrollment Requirements
- Attend the New Teacher Orientation. The schedule will be sent to you before the school year begins.
- First year BTSA only: Complete the BTSA Consent Form to enroll as a Participating Teacher at http://www.btsa.ca.gov/.
- Complete and turn in the Proof of Advisement Form to the Educational Services Department.
- You may purchase up to 16 Professional Development units for the two years of BTSA induction.
Purchasing units of credit - Forms are available from Educational Services
Send with check or credit card information to:
University of the Pacific (Jerry Kjeldgaard/Coordinator)
981 Sierra Madre Dr., Salinas, CA 93901
August and September
Module A: Context for Teaching and Learning
Guiding Question: What do I know about my students and my teaching context?
Forms/Assignments: A-1 through A-5 (A-3 and A-5 are for first year teachers only)
- PT and SP review A forms together
- Use Conversation Guides to discuss Standards, E-3.1, E-3.5, 3.6, 3.6a, 3.6b
October and November
Module B: Assessment of Teaching and Learning
Guiding Question: How am I implementing instruction and addressing student need?
- PT and SP discuss how the PTs Teacher Preparation program aligns with the BTSA Induction
- Participating teachers print out and conduct a self-assessment by marking the Continuum of Teaching Practice and Induction Standards (E-2 series) self-assessment. Note the date, strengths and challenges on the E forms, and list supporting evidence
- Discuss possible artifacts and evidence
- Set up the initial Classroom Observation (with pre and post conferences)
December and January
Module C: Inquiry into Teaching and Learning
Guiding Question: What teaching standards and strategies will I focus on for my Inquiry?
Forms/Assignments: C-1 through C-8
- Review A and B forms for completion (Are Collaboration Logs included for each month?)
- Discuss the self-assessment. Does the Support Provider's observation align with the Participating Teacher's self-assessment?
- Use the Continuum to guide the discussion and selection of an Inquiry for research and project development
- Considering the Induction Standards (Pedagogy and Equity), what would you like to focus on for your inquiry project?
February - March
Continue Module C: Inquiry into Teaching and Learning
Guiding Question: Which Induction Standard(s) will be included in your Inquiry?
Forms/Assignments: C-1 through C-8
- Refine your question and begin your inquiry. Make sure that your question on the IIP (C-1) follows the SMART goal format.
- Complete the Essential Components for Instruction (C-2), but only boxes 1-4. This is a process. Once you give your Entry-Level Assessment you can complete the rest of the C-2 and move on with your instruction.
- Support Providers will need to to a formal observation. This includes a lesson plan, identified CCSS content standards, and focus student identification.
- Year 2 PTs should finish the process by the end of March, Year 1 PTs should finish by the 20th of April.
April - May
Module D: Reflection of Teaching and Learning
Guiding Question: What did I learn about myself as a teacher during my BTSA Induction?
- Mark the Continuum of Teaching Practice and the Induction Standards to reflect your growth this year as a teacher.
- Second Year Candidates: Portfolio is due 4/15 - Prepare for Colloquium in May
- Take the on-line mid-year survey (Link on main page) by the given deadline.
- Review your portfolio with your Support Provider using the Portfolio Checklist
- Make sure the Collaboration Logs are included for each month.