Milpitas Unified School District  Logo
Bond & Construction Updates Community Educational Endowment Sponsors
Beginning Teacher Support | BTSA Blended Learning Bullying Digital Citizenship & Internet Safety Milpitas Ed-Tech Symposium
Assessments Common Core CCSS Report Cards 2014-15 DELAC District Music Program Find Your School Food | Student Nutrition GATE Program Healthy Kids Survey Moving Up PTA | Milpitas Council Enrollment and Transfers Textbooks Adopted Title I Program Improvement Transitioning Grades
School Addresses & Map Child Dev Centers | Preschool Burnett Elementary Curtner Elementary Pomeroy Elementary Randall Elementary Rose Elementary Sinnott Elementary Spangler Elementary Weller Elementary Zanker Elementary Rancho Middle Russell Middle Calaveras Hills High Milpitas High Adult Education
Board of Education Calendars Careers Complaint Policies & Procedures DELAC Departments MUSD In the Press Plans & Reports Staff Resources Superintendent Welcome to MUSD
Frequently Asked Questions Milpitas Unified School District and City of Milpitas enter in to Agreement for New School Land Purchase

Enrollment and Transfers

Registration Information

Student registration for students new to the district and students new to a school for the 2015-2016 school year begins on March 2, 2015.

You must register your child at your resident school based on your Milpitas resident address. If you do not know your resident school, please use the District's School Finder Link

Enroll your new student online here 

New and Returning Students: Parents enrolling students for any grade in the district will need to provide the following items to register their student(s).

1. Proof of Parent/Legal Guardian: current Driver's License, California ID or Government issued ID

2. Proof of Student Age: Birth Certificate, Baptismal Certificate, Passport or Immigration Certificate/Visa (only if Birth Certificate is not available)

3. Proof of Residency Documents within Milpitas* (one from each list is required):

A. Mortgage Statement, Property Tax Bill, Escrow Document, OR Full Rental Agreement

B. Current PG&E Bill OR Current City of Milpitas Utility Bill

Documentation as listed on the Milpitas Unified Proof of Residency Chart must be provided in person for verification.

*Families residing in multi-family units (renting a room/house, living with another family, or sharing a house) are required to provide two additional proofs of residency and must complete additional forms (Trans-02). The home/property owner of the Milpitas address is required by the Milpitas Unified School District to provide proof of identification along with their proofs of residency as listed above. Contact your school secretary to fill out the form and complete this process.

4. Immunization Records (as current, as is age appropriate).

California State Required K-12 Immunization Requirements

5. Emergency Contact Form (provided by school registrar)

6. Additional Required Documents:

Report of Health Examination for School Entry

Oral Health Assessment Form

Milpitas Unified Registration Form

Authorization for Release of Student Records (new students coming from another school)

The above listed forms are also available at your resident school office.


***All completed forms and documents must be submitted to your resident school office in person. Once you turn in your registration documents in person with the necessary documentation, you may be given a packet containing important additional information and forms to complete.***

Registration Resources

Kindergarten Enrollment

What is the age for enrollment in TK and K for the 2015-2016 school year?

For the 2015-2016 school year, students born:

12/3/2009 - 9/1/2010:  Enroll in Kindergarten

9/2/2010 - 12/2/2010:  Eligible for Transitional Kindergarten (TK)

12/3/2010 and later:  Enroll in Kindergarten in Spring 2016 for 2016-2017 school year


How do I enroll my child in Kindergarten or TK?

Transitional Kindergarten is a parent choice. Parents of students who turn 5 years old between September 2 and December 2, 2015 may choose to register for TK. Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten registration begins on March 2, 2015. Registration packets will be available at your resident school. Please contact your school's front office staff to enroll your child. Current TK students will automatically be enrolled into kindergarten at their resident school. To view the Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten Hand Book online, go to To find your resident school, click here to use Milpitas Unified's School Finder.


What is the Curriculum?

The TK and kindergarten curriculum are both developmentally appropriate and focus on literacy and mathematics along with a strong emphasis on exploration, self regulation, social, and emotional engagement. The California Common Core & State Standards and the Next Generation Science Standards guide our kindergarten program. The Milpitas Unified TK Content Standards provide a bridge between California Preschool and Kindergarten standards to support the needs of the TK student. TK provides the first year of a two year kindergarten experience. Allowing an extra year for our young five year olds provides an opportunity for them to grow in all these developmental areas before facing the rigors of the academic world.

Interdistrict Transfer Requests


Incoming Interdistrict Transfer Requests:

Renewal Requests for MUSD Employees and Continuing Students 

Interdistrict transfers approved for the 2014-2015 school year school year will expire in June 2015. Request forms to continue attending Milpitas Unified 2015-2016 school year must be completed with your resident school district and may be dropped off in the Educational Services Department at the District Office on the first business day of May (we will be closed Monday, May 4 for Cinco de Mayo holiday). Since Milpitas Unified is experiencing a high number of enrollment, transfer requests are approved based on space availability. An approved interdistrict transfer request must be on file for non-residents to attend school in the Milpitas Unified School District before they can register for the following year.

New Incoming Requests for Outside Residents

Per Milpitas Unified's Board Policy and Administrative Regulation 5117, the Milpitas Unified School District will no longer be accepting new interdistrict transfer requests into Milpitas Unified schools. First priority is given to students that reside within the Milpitas Unified School District.

“Due to increased enrollment within the Milpitas Unified School District, beginning in 2012 and until further notice, the district will no longer be able to approve interdistrict transfers for new incoming students. Employees of the Milpitas Unified School District and their children who meet the criteria outlined in the contract will be exempt.”


Outgoing Interdistrict Transfers Requests:

Milpitas Unified Residents: To request to be transferred to another school district outside of Milpitas for the 2015-2016 school year, forms will be accepted starting April 1, 2015. Click on the link below to begin the process and to view documentation required.


Open Enrollment Transfer Requests

What is Open Enrollment?

The Open Enrollment (Intra-district) policy allows parents who reside within the boundaries of the Milpitas Unified School District an opportunity to request enrollment of their children at any district school (which may have space available) that is not their current school of record. A “school of record” is defined as the school of attendance in which 1) the child resides in the designated school site attendance area or 2) the last Milpitas District school to which the child was approved for attendance through the open enrollment policy.

Open Enrollment Procedures 

A completed Open Enrollment request form must be submitted to the Educational Services/District Transfers Office located at 1331 E. Calaveras Blvd by March 31st. Only completed request forms accepted between the first business day in March and the last business day in March will be eligible for the lottery. Request forms are available at all elementary schools, middle schools and district office. If requesting more than one school site, please use a separate request form for each requested school site.

  • No student currently residing within a school’s attendance area shall be displaced by another student.
  • Placements are made based on seat availability at the requested school and grade level.
  • Placements are granted via lottery system to provide a random, unbiased selection process.
  • No district transportation will be provided for transfer students under the Open Enrollment policy.
  • Because of limited school locations for transitional kindergarten (TK), TK students will NOT be eligible for the 2015-2016 Open Enrollment process. TK placements will be based on a first come, first serve basis at the nearest location to the home school.

Open Enrollment Application Period: March 2, 2015 – March 31, 2015

The Open Enrollment Application period runs from the first business day in March to the last business day in March for the upcoming school year. All students must be registered at their home school in order to participate in the Open Enrollment process. Request forms received after the close of the Open Enrollment period will not be processed. The district does not maintain a waiting list from requests submitted after the close of the Open Enrollment period. Letter notifications will be mailed out by June to parents who have submitted a complete application before March 31st.

Placement offers for submitted requests are made by seat availability at the requested school through lottery number sequence. Placements are offered beginning August 2015 through the last business day of January 2016. Because Milpitas Unified is experiencing an unusual high number of enrollment district wide, majority of placement offers are not available until after the school year starts. Your child must be attending his/her home school while waiting for a decision.


For more information on Open Enrollment procedures, click on the link: Open Enrollment FAQs

Milpitas Unified School Finder

In order to find what elementary or middle school is associated with a street address for school attendance, click on the MUSD School Locator Link. This will take you to the School Vision Website. Please refer to directions on their site.

Note: All high school students attend Milpitas High School.

*Information is subject to change. District reserves the right to modify placement to meet district needs.